Monday, December 5, 2011

Roots


I think it's very important to teach Isla about who she is early on. She is little and probably won't remember all the things we have shared with her. This is why I find it very important to take lots of pictures and to make sure to document her life whether it’s in her baby book, her journal I keep, or my blog post. For some time now iv had it on my mind to visit Islas maternal great grandparents, so that we did, the day after thanksgiving. Unfortunately Isla did not get to meet her great grandparents (her Grama’s mommy and daddy) I had the honor of meeting Grandpa Henry before he passed. I never got a chance to meet Connie my husband’s grandmother but from the stories the boys (my brother in laws and husband) tell me she was a one of a kind woman. I think it would have been pleasurable to have met her. When my now husband and I first started dating his grandmother had unfortunately just passed away in fact I joined him at her life celebration after the funeral. Sort of odd to have been there since at a time I was the "new flavor" as my husband uncle would call me.  I was new. Seems as this flavor of the month stuck around... The day after thanksgiving I felt the need to make this visit happen. Isla and I headed over to Michael’s (a craft store and my favorite store) to buy some fake holiday flowers. We then headed to the cemetery where we had laid to rest his grandfather along side the love of his life. How beautiful that they are lying besides each-other and looking down at us together. I know they have met Isla, iv felt it. So I sat my daughter down besides their resting place and we or I should say I formally introduced my daughter. Grandpa Henry was an AMAZING soul! I had the privilege to have spent time with him and heard his wonderful stories. That man was admirable. So I spoke to him, and introduced my self formally to Connie. I thanked them for blessing me with this beautiful baby I have. Without them there would be no mother in law, without her there would be no husband. So I thanked them and explained to them how I was grateful for their existence. I am not a shy person so I spoke to Them as if they were In front of me physically I asked them to continue to watch over us and more so to watch over my little angel, their great granddaughter. It's very important to teach my daughter about her roots. I want her to keep their memory alive. I am beyond grateful to them for this family they created, for the family that welcomed. Me. For this beautiful creation I was blessed with. Thanksgiving is a day to look around and appreciate the blessings in our lives and the people in them. Family is forever.  I left there feeling lifted I had to bring my daughter to them and personally thank them and let them know this would not be the first time we would visit. Isla will be surrounded by their memory through us. We will make sure that we share their legacy and keep their memory alive. I shared  this picture with my mother in law and she was so moved she called me crying thanking me for being the mother I am and sharing with her parent the gift that is Isla. We both cried and I thanked her.  This goes for all our family, I want her to know where she came from and who she is. How loved she is. I was blessed to be brought in to this family, this extended family. My husband's and my own. Isla is surrounded by those who love her so much. Family is something that you can trace back on and know who you are. I am grateful for all the roles in this family. I am thankful to them because my daughter's tree starts with their roots. I will be sure to continue to share with her where she came from, this place of love.


3 comments:

  1. beautiful. family heritage is a wonderful thing for children to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mother in law is right - you ARE an amazing mother.
    Love, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are just darling. love this <3

    ReplyDelete